Pamela Ueckerman is a writer, book reviewer and podcast host.
Pamela reviews books for the CBCA website Reading Time, and co-hosts the podcast Middle Grade Mavens which includes book reviews and interviews with authors, illustrators and editors. She has interviewed some of the UK and Australia's most successful children's authors including Catherine Doyle, Emily Rodda and Jackie French and has been privileged to help launch books closer to home.
With previous careers in IT and dance teaching, books have always been her passion, with ballet a close second. Her poetry and short stories have appeared in three anthologies, the Australian Children's Poetry website and The School Magazine. She has also written articles for various publications on expat living, motherhood and home schooling. In 2018, she self-published her hilarious-and-not-scary-at-all chapter book Zombies Alive!
Pamela lives in Melbourne with her family and her large collection of books and old ballet shoes.
Some more tidbits about me:
- I was born in Cornwall, England and lived all over England before emigrating to Australia at 11 years old
- I have spent five years living in Amsterdam and travelling around Europe
- I have danced most of my life, but only started ballet at age 24
- I volunteered as a junior school librarian from age 8 to 10
- In high school, I failed Athletics because I was too small for the high jump and long jump
- I studied Herbal Medicine for fun in my twenties
- I am the mother of two boys
- I won a fashion design competition when I was 6 that was run by a popular kids' show created by the BBC, so I got to be on TV
- I once played competitive squash
- I was the first person to graduate from RMIT with a degree in Computer Science AND an Advanced Certificate in Business Management
- English was my best subject at school and I ALWAYS wanted to be a writer but didn't think I was good enough
- Greenleaf Press Greenleaf Blossoms Competition 2019 - Longlisted Junior Fiction Category
- Buzz Words Magazine - First page competition, 2019 - Winner
- Scribbles Creative Writing Awards 2018 (Girl & Duck) - Shortlisted, middle-grade category
- Greenleaf Press Greenleaf Blossoms Competition 2018 - Winner Middle-Grade Fiction Category
- Jackie Hosking's Pass It On - Spring Competition 2017, third place and highly commended for verse story
- Greenleaf Press Greenleaf Buds Picture Book Writing Competition 2017 - Longlisted
- Creative Kids Tales - 2016 Treehouse, Swamp or Clock Competition - Highly Recommended
- Secret Door Competition 2016 - Winner, Middle-Grade Fiction
- Creative Kids Tales - 2016 Aliens, Animals and Amazing Places Competition - 4th place
- Jackie Hosking's Pass It On - Spring Competition 2015, 2nd place for rhyming story